Translate

Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Tidings

  1. Adult Pi Patel: So which story do you prefer?
  2. Writer: The one with the tiger. That's the better story.
  3. Adult Pi Patel: Thank you. And so it goes with God.
  4. Writer: It's an amazing story.
  5. - The Life of Pi


Here in the Midwest, enough snow has fallen at this point, the ski trails will likely be skiable through February, barring any immoderate temperature increases, rain fall and unseasonable melt-off.  I have been out nordic skiing only once since the December third snowfall and the cold snap that followed it, (seven or eight days in a ten day stretch with single digit highs) and I have been using my free time lately working on Christmas - now that it's passed, it seems logical to discourse a little about it, but I don't have much to say.

It was fantastic.

I have on some level determined that the Frank Capra movie It's A Wonderful Life is a prescient adaptation of religious doctrine, brought into play as a causative agent to prevent one George Bailey, (Jimmy Stewart) from ever actually attempting to throw himself from that precipitous bridge in the middle of winter.  We the audience watch for seventeen minutes as his guardian angel Clarence Odbody, (Henry Travers), reassures George of his significance and relevance to those people he values, but George's decision likely lasted a fraction of a second longer than his initial impulse.

But then I get all woozy over Donna Reed and I reckon it's just a long winded ad for those trendy eyeglasses all the hipster kids wear these days...In other news, I made a rug out of old climbing rope for one of my Christmas gift recipients, and I borrowed some ideas from this blog here -

http://www.instructables.com/id/Rope-Rug/

Sterling and Bluewater 10.5 mm dynamic.  Photo by Michael McKinney.

My version turned out pretty well, and I was happy to have followed the website's suggestion to use Caulking and a secure base of duct tape before completing the project.  

Merry Christmas.



No comments: