Translate

Friday, March 20, 2015

Early Spring, late return

I've gotten out riding a little lately, after taking the whole winter off. Since November 21st I stayed off my bike and used public transport as much as possible - last week I took the bike, cleaned it off and got back to riding. Five months is the most time I've gone without riding since 2008, including winters, it's also the most amount of time I've spent riding Metro Transit. The Twin Cities now has two Rail lines, and is adding at least one more in the next few years, so they add to the commuting experience as well, though riding again has been nice.

New downtown Saint Paul bike routes have recently passed legislation, and with another stadium being built, (completed), at the nexus of the Bruce Vento Trail, the Mississippi River Trail and the Lowertown Saint Paul Farmers Market, it seems reasonable to accommodate the growing demand of citizens. While I did not get much skiing in this winter, owing to a lack of snow and motivation, I did find it rewarding to take some time off and explore public transportation - drivers are great sources of route information, if they aren't too busy or running late.

David Byrne, (that David Byrne) wrote a great series of travel essays that all fit together under the bicycling moniker of "Commuter Experience". I recommend reading it, if not for the way he consistently finds the best in things when they are at their worst, then for the way he approaches being a knowledgeable person, with vulnerability and humility, every time he rides a bicycle in a strange city.

Bicycle DiariesBicycle Diaries by David Byrne

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I just watched "Birdman", so I'm all giddy with crossover artists. Way to go Dave. Nice travel memoir.



View all my reviews


Dried flowers, Saint Paul. Photo by Michael McKinney.


Minnehaha Falls, Minneapolis. Photo by Michael Mckinney.

No comments: